A few weeks ago Jared threw this recipe together, and it was so delicious that we have made it every week since then! It has no dairy, no grains, and is full of vegetables! Typical canned soups are full of cheap and highly processed ingredients. Here is a quick list from Campbell's Tomato Soup...Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Water, Contains less than 2% of: Salt, Potassium, Chloride, Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower sodium natural sea salt, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate, Celery Extract. YIKES!!! That is a lot of reasons to make your own! Here is our EASY recipe, let us know what you think!!
8 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 red pepper (or yellow/orange), roughly chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
2 carrots, diced
1-2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste (I feel like soups usually need more salt than I would think to bring out the flavors, taste as you go, you can always add a little more)
1 can coconut milk
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Chicken stock, (optional)
1) In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
2) Add onion, pepper, celery, carrots, garlic and the spices. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add tomatoes, and continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4) Add 1 can of coconut milk. If needed, add enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
5) Remove from stove top. Using an immersion blender, blend well. A blender or food processor would also work if you don't have an immersion blender, but we have found that to be the easiest method if you own one. Enjoy!
- Dr. Jared Thomure
Let us know how it turns out and what you think on facebook!