As the weather gets warmer, make sure you embrace the beautiful days by getting outside! Being outside is good for both your physical and mental well-being. This is true for both children and adults.
Sunshine and nature tend to boost your mood and many people naturally become more physically active when they are getting outside on a regular basis.
Take advantage of the nice weather and make it a point to incorporate physical activity into your daily life in a fun way. With so many amazing places to explore physical activity doesn’t need to be repetitive, boring, or expensive.
Let’s look at some ways to enjoy this weather in an active way you love!
Incorporate Physical Activity into Your Everyday Life
If you live a busy life and struggle to find time to be active, try to get outside for even a short time each day. This may automatically add some movement to your day.
- Establish the habit of taking an after-dinner walk
- Choose a parking spot far away from the building.
- Walk or bike places when running errands, getting together with friends, etc.
- Carry your child or give them a piggyback ride to the car, the lunch table, or at bedtime.
- Talk and walk when getting together with a friend, having a meeting with a coworker, or when taking phone calls.
Make It Fun
Movement doesn’t have to be hard. Finding movement that you really enjoy will help you to move more consistently. If you find something that is fun, you will do it more often.
Movement should never turn into something you dread. You should feel energized after physical activity! Think through the following concepts to find movement that will be life-giving to you.
First, think about your personality and current needs.
- Do you need some time alone?
- Would you prefer some company?
- Do you need to start small?
- Are you ready for something more intense?
Now, pick a couple of activities to start with.
- Go to the park and play with your kids
- Take a walk with (or without) a coworker on your lunch break
- Ride a bike
- Do a yoga video
- Swim some laps (or enjoy water slides)
- Jump rope or jump on a trampoline
- Play hopscotch
- Have a water balloon fight
- Take a dance class
- Try rock climbing
- Play tennis
- Explore your city (or a city near you) on foot
Plan Bigger Excursions for Days Off
There are so many fun places to explore that will get you outside in nature and keep you active. While many of these places could be enjoyed in a brief visit, taking some extra time will enhance your experience.
- Blackwell in Warrenville
- Herrick Lake in Warrenville
- Lincoln Marsh (& the Prairie Patch Play Area) in Wheaton
- The Illinois Prairie Path
- Danada Forest Preserve (with the Danada Equestrian Center)
Don’t be afraid to try something new! You might surprise yourself by finding a new passion - canoeing, archery, hiking, biking, etc.!
I hope you have a wonderful, active, healthy spring and summer! As always, let me know if there is any way that I can assist you in making this a great summer.