It has been found that about 50-70% of women experience back pain at some point during their pregnancy. It is easy to see understand how this would happen since the average weight gain is 25-35 pounds. As the woman’s center of gravity moves forward, the curve in her low back increases. This in addition to hormonal changes can cause severe back pain.
Many women have no idea what to do in this situation because they don’t want to take medicine that can be harmful to the baby. Chiropractors can offer all natural relief to back pain in this situation. According to the American Pregnancy Association, seeing a chiropractor during pregnancy can help with
- Maintaining a healthier pregnancy
- Controlling symptoms of nausea
- Reducing the time of labor and delivery
- Relieving back, neck or joint pain
- Prevent a potential cesarean delivery
How often should I see a chiropractor during pregnancy?
Obviously every patient is different, but Dr. Tripp typically recommends coming about as often as a woman sees her OB. This would mean approximately once a month during the first trimester, twice a month during the second trimester, and weekly during the third trimester.
What else can I do?
- Get regular low impact exercise such as walking or swimming at least 3 times a week
- Avoid high heels, instead wear flat comfortable shoes with good arch support
- Use a pregnancy or body pillow when sleeping, and try to sleep on left side
- Wear a support belt under lower abdomen